Friday, December 19, 2014

LET'S SEND DAYAN VICIEDO TO BALTIMORE NOW

I love dogs. I own a dog. Dogs are great.

I also have a friend who is married to a woman who works at an animal shelter, and every time I look at my Facebook feed there's an update from her about some dog that needs a home. This woman, bless her heart, is constantly trying to find these mangy looking mutts a place to live. It's a noble cause, but it's also incredibly annoying because it's not just dogs that need homes that she's posting. It's basically any damn dog she comes across ends up flooding my Facebook.

She makes me hate dogs I've never even met. Maybe I subconsciously hate her and I don't know it, and this hatred is manifesting through the dogs. I don't know. All I know is that I want to adopt these dogs and then release them into the local forest preserve.

Run free, Fido! Get back to your roots.

So why am I telling you this?

Because when it comes to Dayan Viciedo, I feel like my friend's wife. I'm constantly trying to find a home for our adorable Cuban friend. He can't stay here anymore. The White Sox Corner Outfielder Shelter has no more room in the kennel. He goes or he dies. Or he's designated for assignment, whatever.

So who is the latest possible Dayan Viciedo adopter? Seems it's the one team that's missed out on a couple of targets that the White Sox signed.

From the Baltimore Sun:
The sense is that White Sox corner outfielder Dayan Viciedo is now the odd man out on the south side of Chicago. He was a ballyhooed player when he defected from Cuba but has been a bit of a disappointment. Still, he is only 25, is in his first year of arbitration, can play both corner outfield spots and has power (60 homers in the past three seasons). The White Sox could use help at the back end of their rotation, and the Orioles have a surplus there – so this one could be a fit.
Could be a fit, you say? For some help at the back of the rotation, you say? Well then let's make a deal!

I truly don't know what value that Viciedo has on the open market right now. Dan Connolly at the Sun seems to think Baltimore would be willing to swap a starter for him, but I'm not sure the Orioles would feel the same way. Unless, of course, that starter is Ubaldo Jimenez and the $39 million. I'm sure the Orioles would love to part ways with that, but no fucking thank you. I'm ready to move on from Viciedo, but not at that cost.

Looking at the rest of Baltimore's stable of starters, there are only two guys who seem like a somewhat reasonable match. Odds are the Sox don't just want another starter, but they prefer a righty. I don't think the Orioles would want to part with Chris Tillman or Kevin Gausman for such a minor return as Viciedo, but I suppose there's a chance Bud Norris or Miguel Gonzalez would work.

Norris turns 30 in March and will be a free agent next winter. He made $5.3 million last season, and odds are he'll make slightly more in 2015. So maybe the Orioles would be willing to do that since they'd save some money, and they aren't sure they can bring him back after next season.

Then there's Gonzalez, who will turn 31 in May, but can't become a free agent until after 2017 since he didn't break into the Majors until 2012. He only made $529,000 last year. Something tells me that Baltimore won't want to give up on his production (436 IP, 3.45 ERA in three seasons) at that price, even if he's not a strikeout pitcher who seems to outperform his FIP every season.

And that's fine with me. Of the two I'd prefer Norris. If the White Sox want to re-sign Jeff Samardzija after the season then I don't think Norris would be anything but a one-year rental before walking next winter, but for Viciedo I'd be more than happy to take that. Also, while Norris' numbers haven't been as good as Gonzalez's have, he misses more bats. Something I always appreciate from a starter.

So if Baltimore wanted to do Norris for Viciedo I wouldn't even need a heartbeat to say yes to that deal. But, like I said earlier, I don't know if Baltimore would have any interest in doing it.

I better put another picture of Dayan looking all sad on my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!